Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Detroit Institute of Art


Recently while back home I went and visited the Detroit Institute of Art. As always, it was a very fun time, but this time I was able to look at it from ma different perspective. The accessibility of this museum was one of the first things that I noticed. Ramps were all around the outside, letting visitors in wheelchairs use whichever entrance they choose to instead of only being able to use one handicap entrance. The elevators that were available were very large and able to accommodate large groups and those with a physical disability. The lighting was very bright and had very clear print on labels for those with impaired vision. One thing that I thought was awesome and hadn’t seen before was their folding chairs. While some benches were scattered throughout, very frequently there were folding chairs hung on walls that the visitor could take and use if they needed a break from walking. Their impact on the local community was another topic that kept popping into my head. With the surrounding counties receiving free admission, it makes the DIA a community center. Anytime that they are open, they are accessible to those in the local communities, and have cafĂ©’s inside that I noticed people hanging out and working at. By having relaxation and recreational areas available there, they are giving back to the community in a simple but important way. This also helps with their public image, as a place that supports attendance and accessibility to those who wish to visit. I have always enjoyed visiting the DIA, but now can have respect for it on a level that I would not have if it wasn’t for learning the steps that they take to maintain their accessibility to all visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment