Monday, April 23, 2018

Ziibiwing Visit


Ever since my first introduction to the vast amount of native American culture in mount pleasant I have wanted to visit the Ziibiwing Center, however school and work made it difficult until this past weekend where I was finally able to go. You can see the community involvement from the beginning with bricks with donor names leading you to the front door. It was all level and had wheelchair access doors so people with those issues could get into the building. However, once inside it wasn’t clear at first where to go, there was a gift shop to the left and the exhibit strait ahead, but no desk or sign stating you had to pay until you got the door the exhibit which told you that you must pay to enter. This made me confused and if I hadn’t read the door I would not have see that I needed to pay. Once inside the exhibit however it was very much apparent how large the community involvement was from community items on display to videos that involved community members. They even had art projects from students who where are part of the tribe in the exhibits. It was also very accessible for the most part there were some areas where it was a little tight and people with wheelchairs may have had an issue. Overall, I really enjoyed my visit and would gladly go back to the Ziibiwing Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment