Sunday, April 22, 2018

Ziibiwing Center Review

I recently visited the Ziibiwing Center here in Mount Pleasant. First thing, it is a very inspiring and amazing institution. Even though it is smaller in scale, it does a wonderful job bringing to light the history of Native Americans in Michigan. The exhibits show a progression of the situation and ways of life in Native Americans in Michigan. The exhibits themselves a very well setup and do the very best to be interactive and educational. Most of the exhibits when I walked by would start playing some sort of audio recording as well as natural ambiance, it was very relaxing to say the least. The staff were very friendly and professional and answered every single question I had. The Museum hosts a wide variety of different events that highlight Native American History and culture. This year alone they are hosting over eleven different events, all of which the public are welcomed to attend. When I visited this weekend there was an event taking place although I cannot remember the name of it. It appeared to be a movie viewing or a documentary followed by a discussion of various directors and Tribal leaders of the museum. The small size may have one disadvantage, that being that it may make it difficult for physically handicapped people to move around within the museum, however the museum is easily accessible to those who are in wheelchairs, etc. Overall I really enjoyed my visit to the museum, the exhibits were very educational and interactive, the staff was incredibly helpful, and they seem to do a lot for the community and for the local tribes of Michigan. I would recommend this museum to anyone considering visiting a museum in Mount Pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment