Sunday, April 29, 2018

Holocaust Museum

        I went to the Holocaust Museum in Farmington Hills, Michigan. It was a very surreal experience. There were a lot of emotions while going through this museum. I had previously gone to the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C.. This had a very similar feel to it, it was somber and it did an amazing job at evoking emotion just by using their collection. I am not sure if they took direct inspiration from the museum in D.C but it was almost as intense. It was considerably smaller then the one in D.C but they capture the same experience. The staff was very knowledgeable and extremely respectful. I do honestly know if I could do what they do, they were really amazing
Another big thing I noticed was how accessible it was. I don’t know if there would have been a single thing that someone with disabilities couldn’t do. Even the exhibit labels were at a really good height which I feel gets overlooked in a lot of museums. I noticed a person in a wheel chair be able to wheel right up to the labels and not have any problem reading them. I think the one issue that people could have would just be that there is so many strong emotions that you feel. It was at times really hard to make it through. Overall I would recommend going, just for the history. It gives you perspective which is so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment