Over the long break, I went to 3 museums in Lansing. I went to the Capitol, the Michigan Historical Museum and the RE Olds Transportation Museum. I am focusing on the accessibility of the MHM and the REOM. The Capitol I don't really consider a museum, even though it is but I'm ignoring it for these purposes. The accessibility of the MHM was wonderful. The areas between the different exhibits were large enough for people with a wheelchair or stroller to get through. I also liked the way that elevators were everywhere. There wasn't a spot when one had to backtrack in order to get to a different part of the museum, they all were in good locations and big enough for people to get in and out of. The exhibits themselves were good, I thought they had a nice balance between the pictures and the words on the labels. One could read more in depth if they wanted to but they didn't have to. The pictures and brief captions were enough to understand what was happening in the exhibit. the labels also didn't have too complex of words or anything and were easy and big to read.
However, the RE Olds Transportation Museum was a museum that one could tell had limited funds. The labels were all different and small at times. One had to bend to read most of them and sometimes the exhibits were just there with no interpretation within, it was simply just objects. Also, most of the museum was cars, which is ok but it wasn't easy to see them and get around. The museum lacked information overall, but the cars were well labeled I believe. The only problem was in some spots there was no room to get between the cars, and if you are in a wheelchair or can't walk well, you are stuck looking at the front of the car which was unfortunate. Lastly, some of the cars were high, so if people were short or in a wheelchair they may not have been able to look inside the car and see the fabric within. That, however, I have no solution for because it's not their fault that cars aren't built in a specific way. But overall, the museum was enjoyable, just not friendly in some aspects.
No comments:
Post a Comment