Sunday, March 11, 2018

My Visit to the Ziibiwing Center


Allie Nawrocki

Professor Rose

MST 315

20 February 2018

My Visit to the Ziibiwing Center

My aunt and I went last year to visit the Ziibiwing Center here in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. I admit, it was for an extra credit homework assignment for an anthropology class I was taking, but I was also really excited to see it. The first thing I noticed was that there were no docents around. Now we did decide to go on a Saturday, and we were there when it first opened, so there were not a lot of visitors around besides us. Getting around was pretty self-explanatory as well, but it would have also comforted me if there were more workers around in case there was an emergency of some sort, and I could have also found them if I wanted to know more information about a certain top or know where the drinking fountain was.

The second thing I noticed was that it was not very handicap friendly at all. The doors were wide, but the space for visitors in the museum would most likely prevent people in wheelchairs from seeing the exhibits. In term of being welcoming to individuals with other types of disabilities, though, they did an excellent job!!! They had two videos throughout the museum, and they both had subtitles. They also had people reading what the signs in front of every exhibit said.

The Ziibiwing Center has a very significant history and impact on Mount Pleasant today. It is a place where every person in the area should see because it teaches everybody about humanity, acceptance, love, and the good things that come from working together. It also screams that the Chippewa Tribe was indeed here in Mount Pleasant. Their stories and past matter, and people must realize that when it is all said and done because their history will remain known for generations to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment