Over Spring Break, I was also able to visit Chippokes Plantation
State Park. This park features the Jones-Stewart Mansion and the River House
which people can tour. On the Jones-Stewart Mansion tour I was surprised at the
impact the exhibit had on visitors. They had the house set up exactly as it was
in the 1950’s. I know personally I was able to visualize how people lived
during the time period and also how the slaves lived. In the slave quarters
volunteers put on programs about how the slaves cooked and lived during the
time period. It really makes you feel apart of the time period and understand
how the people were living.
The
Mansion is very important to the local community. The Mansion was important in
1852 because the site was home to extensive fruit orchards and one of the few
legal distilleries in Virginia. The next owners of the house Victor and Evelyn
Stewart bought the property in the 1918 and put a lot of effort into
restoration and compiling a detailed history of the plantation. And to preserve
the plantation Mrs. Stewart donated it to the State park so that it can be preserved
and depict day-to- day life and that is what the mansion is doing to this day
for the local community and visitors.
No comments:
Post a Comment